by NZ CATHOLIC staff
AUCKLAND — Many past and present pupils, parents, teachers and friends gathered over the
weekend of May 10-11 to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Cluny Kindergarten, Remuera.
Because this was the first Catholic kindergarten in Auckland diocese, it was at the same time a celebration of 60 years of Catholic early childhood education.
The Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny came to Auckland in 1948, establishing their convent in Victoria Ave.
Six years later, at the request of some parents, they opened a kindergarten. Among the first-day pupils was the present Bishop of Auckland, Bishop Patrick Dunn.
From 1960 to 1981, the sisters also ran a small primary school, and many kindergarten pupils
continued their education at Cluny School.
In 2005, the kindergarten employed its first lay supervisor. Today the kindergarten is staffed by lay teachers.
The jubilee celebrations consisted of a family gala at the kindergarten, with fun for children, a dinner at Sorrento in the Park for the adults, and a jubilee Mass in St Michael’s Church, at which Bishop Dunn was the main celebrant.
A much-appreciated feature of the liturgy was Mothers’ Song, sung by kindergarten children
at the end of Mass, honouring all mothers on Mother’s Day. A morning tea brought the celebrations to a close.